The Washington Football Team has a rich history in the National Football League (NFL). Established in 1932, the team is one of the oldest franchises in the league. Over the years, they have had some great players and coaches, as well as some tough seasons. In this article, we will take a look at the history, notable players and coaches, and current state of the Washington Football Team.
The Washington Football Team was established in 1932 as the Boston Braves. In 1933, the team was renamed the Boston Redskins and in 1937, the team moved to Washington D.C. and became the Washington Redskins. The team enjoyed great success during the 1930s and 1940s, winning two NFL championships in 1937 and 1942.
Throughout the years, the team has had several owners, including George Preston Marshall, who was the majority owner from 1932 until his death in 1969. Marshall was a controversial figure in the NFL, as he was the last owner to integrate his team in 1962, after pressure from the Kennedy administration.
Notable Players and Coaches
The Washington Football Team has had several great players and coaches throughout its history. Some of the notable players include:
- Sammy Baugh: Baugh played for the team from 1937 to 1952 and is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. He won two NFL championships and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963.
- Sonny Jurgensen: Jurgensen played for the team from 1964 to 1974 and is another great quarterback in team history. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983.
- John Riggins: Riggins played for the team from 1976 to 1985 and was the MVP of Super Bowl XVII. He rushed for over 1,000 yards in four seasons and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992.
- Darrell Green: Green played for the team from 1983 to 2002 and was one of the best cornerbacks in NFL history. He won two Super Bowl championships and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008.
Some of the notable coaches in team history include:
- Joe Gibbs: Gibbs coached the team from 1981 to 1992 and again from 2004 to 2007. He won three Super Bowl championships and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996.
- George Allen: Allen coached the team from 1971 to 1977 and led them to the Super Bowl in 1972. He was known for his tough, no-nonsense coaching style and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
The Washington Football Team is currently going through a transitional period, as they are in the process of changing their name to Washington Commanders. In 2020, the team announced that they would be retiring their old name and logo, which many people felt was offensive to Native Americans. The team played the 2020 season as the Washington Football Team and has yet to announce a new name.
On the field, the team has had some ups and downs in recent years. They made the playoffs in 2015 and 2020 but missed the postseason in the intervening years.